Hover over the images for the Pin It! button.

Hover over the images for the Pin It! button.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas. Yum!

Here is a great recipe that may sound a bit weird, but is sooo delicious! This is probably my fifth time making it and I feel like I've gotten it just how I like it. You can find the base recipe at:


I haven't made many changes to it, but I don't make my own enchilada sauce. Why mess up a good thing when there is a delicious bottled version ready to go? lol

First things first: pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees



Here are all the ingredients you'll need to get started, except I forgot to put the cheese in this picture! I used mexican cheddar jack, which I don't even use sometimes. It's great wthout the cheese too.


 You'll need three squeaky clean sweet potatoes (about two cups) and a very big sharp knife to cut these suckers. The original recipe calls for peeled potatoes, but I like to leave the skins on. It leaves a nice texture, keeps the nutritional integrity, and saves time! Who wouldn't love that?


 Once you have your sweet potatoes all chopped up, spread them out on a large greased baking pan in one layer. Pop them in the oven and let them bake for 15 to 20 minutes. They should be nice and soft when they come out. Feel free to nibble on a few too, they are really tasty!


Meanwhile, take your rinsed and drained black beans, chopped green chiles, minced garlic, cumin, chili pepper, and lime juice and mix it all together in a medium bowl.


You will need a 9x13 inch baking dish. Take a small portion of your enchilada sauce (I used slasa verde) and spread it on the bottom of your dish. Reserve the rest to top off the enchiladas.

After the sweet potatoes come out of the oven, put them in a medium bowl and mash them up a bit. A big wooden spoon does the trick.

(Keep your oven on at 400 degrees)


Now you are ready to fill the tortillas. I went for smaller ones this time because they were for a potluck. I usually use medium tortillas, but whatever works for you!

Start by scooping the mashed sweet potatoes down the center of your tortilla and then add a layer of the black bean mix on top.


Depending on what size of tortillas you use, you can create anywhere form 8 to 12 enchiladas. Just before you pop them in the oven, pour your enchilada sauce on top and sprinkle generously with cheese if desired.

Bake for 20 minutes until they are hot and bubbly.

I also stuck toothpicks in them so that it would be easier to see the little individual enchiladas underneath all the deliciousness!


Now serve and enjoy! I eat mine with a dollop of daisy, (sour cream that is)

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips